Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Changing the Nutrients - Week 2

I've decided to change the nutrients on my window farm every Saturday. Hopefully this means a new post every week.  I have a bunch of photos to put up on the blog, but I wanted to do this chronologically. So I will post as fast as I can to get caught up!

So, let us pretend that I posted this in a timely manner and that it is actually January 29, 2011.
I wasn't sure what to do with the old nutrients, but I asked on http://www.our.windowfarms.org/ and was advised to water my other plants with it.


So I did...

Here are some pictures of my seedlings' progress as well as some of the plants from my first round of plants. I wish I had written down the day that I planted the broccoli and tomato seeds.

Pepper 'Yellow Wax Hot Hungarian'

Stevia
 
Strawberry 'Patio Temptation'
 
Swiss Chard 'Bright Lights'
 
Tomato 'Yellow Pear'

My Indoor Garden (in a shower stall)
 
Yay for broccoli leaves as big as my hand!


The Boyfriend is pretty handy, he soldered up some computer fans for me to help with air circulation.

Now that my reservoir was empty, I could proceed with mixing up my new batch of nutrients. I used parts 1 and 2 of my hydroponic solution, and some Maximum Plantroids for a little bit of stress relief and root stimulation.


 +
+

I like the blue colour!

Ok so that is my 'formula' for changing the nutrients. The little syringe was procured from the local pharmacy for free. It makes measuring out the nutes really easy! I'm not too crazy about my accuracy, but I do try to follow the guidelines on the bottle.

Here are a few more pictures of my window farm's progress. The tomato is getting fairly large, and the bean is going to flower soon!!






Hopefully my brocoli produces. I have never seen broccoli grow so I'm not sure if the long lanky leaves are a good sign or not. The plants in pots are doing way better, but I will attribute that to the fact that the plants in the window farm were put through a lot of stress when I washed the soil and crap out of the roots.

Feel free to post some comments!! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Looking good! The broccoli may be stretching a little bit from a slight lack of light, or short light hours, overcast weather can be a killer in the winter. But it looks healthy from my experience. The tomato and bean look fantastic! One of my bean plants' nodes are over a foot apart at one point, and I have artificial lighting. And your shower garden... perfect, it must be nice to not worry about spilling things/ messes/ clean up and what not. What do you have for light in there?
    Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete